As the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak continues to affect people and businesses worldwide, we are committed to leverage all resources to protect our employees, customers and operations during this time.
We are closely monitoring the situation, following CDC guidelines, abiding by local regulations and will keep you informed as the situation evolves.
We have launched the Shapeways COVID-19 Community Response Initiative to support the global impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
If your organization is running low on medical supplies and are seeking additional options using 3D printing, or if you have a model that you'd like to share with us, please get in touch using the link above.
You can also make a donation towards the production of face shields for medical staff in need. You can find more information here: https://covid19.shapeways.com/
Please review the following FAQs and contact Customer service should you have any further questions.
What does this mean for my orders currently in production?
Our production process is mostly running as usual at the moment. We are currently experiencing significant delays in the production of most Cast metals so you can expect a lead time extension on orders containing these materials. The estimated shipping dates for these orders have changed and are reflected on your Orders page.
How is production affected?
- Our NYC factory will be running minimal staffing to support essential operations, as we have been granted exemption status as an essential business to produce medical aids. Our resources have been shifted accordingly so we are still able to fulfill your production needs.
- The RUSH option for US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia has been temporarily disabled.
- All Natural, Polished and Plated cast metal materials in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Copper, Brass, and Bronze are temporarily unavailable for purchase as of June 3, 2020. Outstanding orders placed in these materials will resume production as soon as possible. As of June 3, 2020, we are estimating a further delay of 4-8 weeks.
- Our Steel printing facility is operating at reduced capacity, the lead time is increased by approximately 8 days
- Versatile plastic and PA11 are slightly delayed, you can expect the lead time to be pushed forward by 7-10 business days for these materials.
A cast metal model in my shop is missing, what happened?
If you selected a cast metal that is currently disabled (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Copper, Brass, Bronze, Rhodium Plated Brass, and Gold Plated Brass) as a default material for your model, the whole model will no longer be visible in your shop until we enable those materials again. You can change the default material temporarily to one that's available to order so your customers can still buy it.
I had already selected “customer pick up” for my order. Will I still be able to pick it up?
We will be shipping your order to you via the fastest shipping service. Somebody from our Customer Service team will contact you with further details.
I have an E-commerce integration set up to sell on external sites. Will fulfillment be affected?
Product listings on external platforms remain unchanged. However, if the materials for your models are not available, Shapeways will not be able to fulfill the orders placed by your customers. As of May 6th, 2020 any automatic orders pushed through our integrations for cast metal materials will result in an error. We will notify you when production resumes and the materials are available again, at which point you will be able to push the failed orders to Shapeways through the Etsy or Shopify integration apps or programmatically via your custom API app.
How will changes in material availability or lead times impact my customers through my E-commerce integration?
Since the product listings will not update automatically, we recommend notifying your customers of production changes for the affected materials (see a list of production changes listed under the question “How is production affected”). Alternatively, you could prevent your customers from placing orders by temporarily disabling listings for affected products.
Where should I go to check for future updates?
We will continue to communicate via email and on our help center page. Should the situation escalate, we will be posting announcements on our website as well.