We are releasing some price changes that will come into effect starting Wednesday, April 15, 2020. These changes are now live and will be reflected in new orders placed through shapeways.com as well as through your API or e-commerce integration with Shapeways.
You can find the answers to the most frequently asked questions below:
- Why is Shapeways making these changes?
- The current pandemic has forced many businesses to adapt, Shapeways included. We have been affected on multiple levels, from supplier changes to production shifts in our factories. We are trying our best to continue operating during the crisis, but have had to adjust to ensure we are able to sustain the current situation for months to come.
- Are you making any more pricing changes in the near future?
- We are always responding to changes in the business. There are many moving parts in our manufacturing production, and these changes are part of our ongoing evaluation to optimize our business production. It’s worth noting that price changes do not always mean that prices are going up. Most recently, we were able to reduce our pricing for some models printed in MJF PA12 and MJF PA12 Glass Beads by as much as 50%.
- What is a processing fee?
- The processing fee adds 6% to the base model price (after material selection and before tax/VAT, shipping, and any manufacturing speed upgrades are applied) at check out to help cover the handling and fulfillment costs involved in 3D production. For example, if your base model is $10, the processing fee will add $0.6 to your total price.
- Why are you changing shipping prices for some regions, but not the others?
- This is a combination of the changes we’ve encountered with the shipping services we use, and the current shift in production between our two factories in New York and Eindhoven. We’ve had to make changes to many of our shipping methods, and these changes are driving the costs up. Until we are able to identify a cheaper carrier for those regions, this increase is to cover our base costs that our shipping suppliers are charging us.
- Where can I see the latest shipping costs and lead times?
- These can be found on our Shipping time and costs page
- I added some products to my cart and the prices increased during checkout. Is this correct?
- We apologize for the confusion. We made a pricing change that affected hundreds of thousands of products in the Shapeways marketplace and some of those updates may have been delayed. The price displayed in your cart is the accurate one.
- I have a Shapeways marketplace shop. Do these changes affect my markup?
- No, they do not. Your markup remains the same, however, because we’ve adjusted the prices for Versatile Plastic, MJF PA12 and MJF PA12GB, you may wish to update your markup according to the increase or decrease in the base model price of your product.
- I use an API or e-commerce integration (Etsy or Shopify) with Shapeways to sell my products. Do these changes affect my markup?
- Yes, these changes will change your markup. Because your customer-facing price can't be automatically updated, the processing fee, shipping, and price adjustments of select materials will all affect your markup. We suggest you review and update your product pricing accordingly. Please see these resources for pricing updates on Etsy and Shopify.